Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Hungry, Hungry Caterpillar has eaten his last leaf

Lately I've been so caught up in the joy and pain of urban poultry that I haven't mentioned the bane of my blogging existence, bugs and caterpillars, in awhile. The leaf-footed bug nymphs have all grown up. I assume that following their adolescence they've all gone off to college/trade school because I rarely see an adult leaf-footed bug around. 

Caterpillars, on the other hand, are a completely different story. Things finally reached the point where my tried and true method of caterpillar control (picking them off by hand and throwing them in the general direction of a chicken) became impractical. There were simply too many of them, and they were starting to cause extreme damage.

The sad remains of what used to be a
Brussles sprout plant before caterpillars devoured it
Rather than surrendering my garden, I decided to escalate the conflict into a full-scale biological war. I explained previously why I don't use pesticides - not because I have some problem with exposure to or consumption of chemicals (I'm more or less indifferent to both things), but because pesticides are non-specific and kill beneficial predatory bugs. But, biological weapons are a completely different story.

Last week, I applied Bacillus thurigienisis (Bt) to everything that showed signs of caterpillar mastication (this Brussels sprout plant is an extreme example). The idea here is that Bt, a naturally occurring soil bacteria, only infects caterpillars and is harmless to basically everything else (trust me I'm a doctor). It infects caterpillars digestive tract. You know, the kind of illness that forces them to choose between sitting on the toilet or kneeling over the toilet (either way there may be a mess to clean up later).

Normally, caterpillars are occasionally infected with Bt when they eat a leaf that has had Bt from the soil splashed onto it from rain or whatever. Now, all of my plants have been generously doused with Bt. One week after a single application, I have not seen a single caterpillar on any plant in my garden.

I recommend this stuff
And because I know everyone is wondering, Rosemary is extremely happy and madly in love with Patrick.


 

1 comment:

  1. Poor caterpillars probably didn't know what hit them. Serves them right though. If they want plants to snack on then they should grow them themselves, in their own garden I say!

    ReplyDelete