Thursday, April 19, 2012

Dutch chocolate

You've no doubt already assumed, based on the high quality of journalism found in The Nearly Constant Gardener, that I have at my disposal an enormous cadre of worldwide operatives fact finding and information gathering for this blog. Steve, my European correspondent, has recently brought a disturbing continental development to my attention and it has nothing to do with the Silvio Berlusconi trial

No, this hits somewhat closer to home. The Netherlands is apparently so overrun with insects, which must be feeding on their famous tulips (or maybe their famous windmills), that the Dutch have been forced to find creative ways to deal with them.  They should be reading this blog. I could give them some pointers.
They've even gone so far as decorating cupcakes with them:



























And the madness doesn't stop there. A recently released cookbook, "The Insect Cookbook," promotes the use of insects as protein in, you know, human food. I am an admittedly adventurous eater but even I'm not sure about this.

Actually, upon further reflection, I think I could embrace this. I mean, based on the sheer number of leaf-footed bug nymphs I've managed to cultivate in my backyard even while actively trying to eradicate them, these things could be a goldmine if only Americans would come down off their high horse and eat them. Maybe I'll see if I can't collect enough specimens to grind into a hamburger patty as a proof of concept.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to report back anytime I can. Here in Paris now, Ill see what else I can find.

    ReplyDelete