Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The secret to my success

As I mentioned yesterday, we're having a heatwave. I think it's supposed to ease up a little later this week and into the weekend, but the past few days have been brutal. On top of that, the last decent rain was more than a month ago. 

All this adds up to a stressful June for my plants. Everyday by 3:00 in the afternoon, all of my plants look shriveled and wilted. Their ploy of playing dead in the afternoon heat in the hopes of convincing the sun to move along since it's killed all of the plants here hasn't worked, but it can't be good for the plants to go through all this.

Freshly mulched beds
Actually, I should have said that my plants used to wilt every afternoon. Since Monday my garden has looked perfectly fine as the unrelenting sun attempts to beat them into submission. The secret to keeping my plants looking their best in this weather is mulch. 

Monday morning I added about three inches of mulch to each of the three vegetable garden beds. I did it right after watering thoroughly since the whole idea of the mulch is to hold in the water. It's only been about three months since I last covered the beds with mulch, but between heavy spring rains and ridiculously hot summer heat, the old mulch was in a sad state.


Some poor butterfly or bee is in
for horrifying surprise

While mulching, I also noticed this little guy lurking in a morning glory flower. I think it's a larger version of the same spider I photographed a couple of weeks ago in the butter fly bush. It may even be the same one all grown up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment