Friday, July 13, 2012

Oh, "Oh! Streetcar"


This week, I originally intended to use a scene from The Simpsons musical Oh! Streetcar for the The Friday, End-of-the-Week, Blogging-Wrap-up, Musical Interlude. Blogging won't occur Monday or Tuesday of next week because I'll be house hunting in New Orleans, so I thought that a fake musical about New Orleans based on the Tennessee Williams play A Streetcar Named Desire would be fitting. Oh! Streetcar begins with an unflattering depiction of New Orleans as "the Sodom and Gomorrah on the Mississip" and full "pirates, drunks, and whores." It was sort of a modern satirical take on the opening song of Sweeney Todd  that trashes London. 

The Simpsons episode featuring Oh! Streetcar will probably never be aired on television again because it really upset New Orleanians for some reason when it originally aired and that was even before Katrina nearly wiped the city out. So, all that is to say, the intellectual property lawyers (who I hope are extremely well paid) at Fox Searchlight have cleverly exploited copyright laws to remove Oh! Streetcar from the internet, thus raining on my proverbial parade.

Instead, I arbitrarily chose The Lumineers "Hey Ho." It's not bad. Have a nice weekend. We'll catch up next Wednesday.

1 comment:

  1. No "Oh! Streetcar"!!! I’m gonna crawl into bed with a bottle of Amaretto. Good day.

    ReplyDelete