Thursday, July 12, 2012

Native son

Pardon me if my blogging today doesn't meet The Nearly Constant Gardener's usually high  standard. I didn't get much sleep last night thanks to a meningicoccal/meningitis vaccination yesterday. It's tough to sleep when it feels like someone smashed a wine bottle on your shoulder. As usual, I'm exaggerating, but it was uncomfortable enough to make for a poor night's sleep. And, I'm not one to tolerate even the mildest sleep deprivation well.

That said, I will soldier on without (further) complaint. I'm dedicating today's blog to my Central Texas native plants, which tolerate our absurd climate with good grace and aplomb. With just the smallest amount care these plants thrive. I'm amazed that plants can actually survive at all when conditions range from triple digit heat for three solid months with no rain (like last summer) to three days of sub-freezing weather with sleet and snow (like last winter).

Native echinacea - like the trendy supplement
First up, this echinacea that, as I've explained before, is slowly conquering all surrounding territory in the front yard. After blooming like crazy for the past couple of months, it's not looking it's best at the moment. Still, it's impressive that it looked just as full and green before the recent rains (with no water from me) as it does now after the rain.

Native artemesia - like the trendy absinthe
Next, I've employed this artemisia to obscure my A/C unit, which someone decided would be best situated centered directly behind the house. It's like putting a hot water heater in the middle of the living room. The artemisia does an admirable job of distracting the eye.  Artemisia is also known as wormwood. 

I always like to point out plants that are used to brew any kind of alcohol, and wormwood is the notable ingredient in absinthe. Absinthe is the rare spirit that I don't care for (I don't like licorice).

As you know, I have plenty of other natives around the house. The butterfly plant and mountain laurel are both visible in the background of the artemisia picture (along with the not-good-enough-for-the-duck pond). The little red oak in the front yard has shot up another foot or so this year. Aside from some annuals here and there, or container plants, I am only planting native or "adapted" (also known as "invasive") plants these days. Someday when I lack any other material maybe I'll discuss those adapted plants.   

1 comment:

  1. Well, I am glad you got your shot. You will soon be surrounded by a large group of germ carriers that aren't of your native Texan persuasion (whose germs you already have. I don't know what these Creole/Cajun germs will do. What, Jody's Cajun. Dang it. I am not erasing that whole paragraph that makes no sense. I am too lazy for that.). Anyway, I do not want your fingers to rot away, so I am glad you got it.

    I must say, to all your readers, that you do have a great knack for keeping plants alive when any reasonable plant would wither and die. I see most plants being like Blanche Devereaux with the vapors. They just wilt. However, you are raising and producing some Julia Sugarbakers. I mean, they just will not be taken down! It's very impressive.

    ReplyDelete